A full head of hair is a goal for people of all ages. A head of hair that is thick and healthy gives a person the appearance of being youthful and successful in the eyes of others. In addition, the amount of hair located on the head of a person is often one of the first features that others notice when they meet a person. That first impression helps to form the opinion of a person along with how they perceive that person moving forward in their personal or professional relationship. People that lack a good amount of hair on their head often try and cover their hair loss by wearing a toupee or a hat so others cannot see the area of the scalp that is lacking in hair. These methods of covering the hair loss are temporary at best and do not provide a permanent solution to the hair loss issue. Patients looking to make a permanent change in the appearance of their hairline often make the decision to undergo a hair transplant to get the full head of hair that they desire. Houston is home to some of the best hair restoration doctors in the United States and, thanks to research conducted using the Cosmetic Town intelligent system, the research staff of Cosmetic Town has identified the top hair restoration doctors in Houston:
Houston Hair Restoration Options
When patients make the decision to travel to Houston for hair restoration surgery, patients have multiple techniques they can choose from when it comes to Houston hair restoration:
- Follicular unit transplantation (FUT) is a hair restoration process where the hair transplant surgeon trims a narrow strip of hair that is located on the scalp of the patient. A strip of scalp is then removed from the back of the head so the skin with the hair follicles is able to be removed. The strip of scalp is removed in the area where the hair was trimmed and then the skin is stitched together by the hair restoration surgeon. The surgeon also creates tiny incisions in the scalp in order to easily implant the hair grafts in the scalp in the direction that the hair follicles will naturally grow.
- Follicular unit extraction (FUE) is a hair transplant technique where the hair grafts of the patient are individually harvested from the donor area on the scalp. The reason the hair grafts are removed individually by the hair restoration surgeon is so the patient does not suffer a linear scalp scar after the procedure. During the FUE hair transplant procedure, the hair restoration surgeon uses a punch instrument to make tiny circular incisions in the area located around the follicular unit in order to help isolate the hair graft that is targeted to be removed. Once the follicular units are removed from the donor area on the scalp of the patient, they are placed in premade incisions on the balding area of the scalp. In addition to the traditional method of performing FUE, Houston hair restoration doctors are also able to harvest FUE grafts through the use of Robotic FUE (ARTAS). This hair transplant method requires the assistance of a computer to harvest hair follicles. ARTAS examines and evaluates the donor area of the patient in order to determine the hair graft characteristics as well as identify the growth direction of the emerging hair. The doctor will program the ARTAS system to separate the follicle groups as well as dissect the grafts before they are transplanted by the hair restoration doctor.
- Body to Scalp Hair Transplant is hair restoration for patients without enough donor hair on the back of their head for a hair transplant. The hair transplant surgeon moves hair from another area of the body to the balding area on the scalp. This hair transplant option gives a patient the desired fullness on the scalp.
- Hairline Lowering is also known as forehead reduction and it an ideal procedure for patients that have a hairline that is considered to be high in its appearance. Hairline lowering starts with the surgeon creating a small incision along the natural hairline. The incision is made so the hair-bearing tissue is able to be moved forward into a new position that is also lower in its overall appearance. Once the incision is closed, hair follicles from the patient are moved from the sides or back of the scalp so they can be transplanted into the newly lowered hairline.
- Eyebrow Transplant is ideal for patients that do not have the desired amount of overall hair density in their eyebrows as well as to fill-in patchy areas in the eyebrows where their eyebrow hair is missing. The transplanted hair is moved from other parts of the body so it can be moved to the eyebrows.
Houston Hair Restoration Doctors Consultation
Before patients decide to have a hair transplant, they should schedule a consultation appointment with a board-certified Houston hair restoration doctor, or a hair transplant surgeon located elsewhere in the United States, that is experienced in providing long lasting and natural looking results. The hair transplant surgeon will determine the reasons for the hair loss in order to pick the best hair transplant option that will provide the desired fullness and hair density on the scalp of the patient.