Lip injections add volume to the targeted area of the lips as well as give you a fuller and plumper set of lips. The volume in the lips can decrease as a person ages. Thanks to the loss of volume in the lips as a person ages, the lips can start to look older which also contributes to a person having an overall older look to the facial area. While you might have heard of the benefits of having lip fillers injected in the areas lacking volume, there are plenty of facts about them that you should be aware of before undergoing a lip filler procedure.
Are you ready to learn more about lip fillers? Here are a dozen facts you need to know:
- Hyaluronic Acid – The most commonly used fillers contain hyaluronic acid (HA). Hyaluronic acid is a substance that is naturally found in the body and injecting it in the lips adds shape and volume to them. Since HA is naturally found in the body of a person, there is not a danger of the body rejecting the filler.
- Popular Choices – Some of the most popular HA fillers on the market include Restylane, Juvederm Ultra, Belotero Balance and Prevelle Silk. The final results gained by these fillers depend on the amount injected into the lips and the choice of filler.
- Not Permanent – Hyaluronic acid fillers are not permanent so you will need to have a follow-up treatment to maintain the results. In addition, you can erase the fillers if you don’t like the results. Your dermatologist will simply inject an enzyme called hyaluronidase into the lips to erase the results of the fillers. It only takes about 5 minutes to erase the results if you don’t like their appearance.
- Price – The cost of having fillers in your lips depends on the type of product used, the amount of product in the syringe and the region of the country in which you live. In general, the cost is $600-$900.
- Stinging Sensation – When the fillers are injected, it will sting a little bit. The total time for the treatment is around 15-20 minutes. To prevent the stinging from bothering you, the doctor can numb your lips before the injection with a topical anesthetic.
- Downtime – There is little to no downtime after the lips are injected with fillers. Your lips will be massaged and ice is rubbed on them for about 10 minutes after the injections. Any numbness will wear off after about 15 minutes. Once the numbness is over, you will be free to go about your daily activities.
- Immediate Results – The results of lip fillers are almost immediately visible after the injections are placed in the targeted area. After some initial swelling that lasts for about 24 hours, the lips settle into their new volume-filled look. Expect some bruising to be visible for 5-7 days after the injections.
- Wait to Exercise – After the injections are placed in the lips, do not plan on doing any exercise the day of the injections. In general, avoid any activities that increase the flow of blood to your face such as exercise or a facial.
- How Long do the Results Last – In general, the results of HA fillers last about 4-6 months. However, people who are thinner tend to metabolize the fillers faster so the injections don’t last as long. As mentioned above, the final results also depend on the amount of filler placed in the lips by the doctor.
- The Final Choice is yours to make – You can have injections in both lips or you can have filler placed in only one of the lips. If you don’t want additional volume in both of your lips, you can simply choose to treat the bottom lip or the middle of the top lip. Discuss your preference with the doctor before making your final decision.
- Visit a Professional – Make sure your lip injections are performed by a board-certified professional that has experience in placing fillers in the lips. Some good examples of a medical professional to visit for the procedure include a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist. Going to a professional who is experienced in performing the treatment lessens the chances of complications. Plus, an experienced medical professional can set realistic expectations so you will know the type of results you can expect to see after the procedure is over. Having realistic expectations also lessen the chance of you being surprised or disappointed by the final results.
- Back to the Beginning – Once you stop getting filler injections in the lips, your lips will return to their original look. However, the HA put in your lips might create the production of more HA at the injection site. In other words, your lips might remain larger naturally thanks to having previous injections.