One of the main requests of patients looking to undergo cosmetic surgery is the desire to gain a more youthful appearance. Surgical facial rejuvenation techniques turn back the clock and give a person a look that is younger and refreshed and makes them have a youthful glow to others. Surgical facial rejuvenation procedures have moved beyond their ability to only provide results that were taut, unnatural and stretched in appearance to letting patients enjoy results that are natural in appearance without it being obvious that any type of plastic surgery was performed. When it comes to surgical facial rejuvenation procedures, the best choice to achieve the desired results depends on the age of the patient, the condition of the skin and the type of results that the person hopes to achieve by undergoing the treatment. Let’s take an in-depth look at surgical facial rejuvenation procedures that lift the face to provide a more youthful look.
Surgical Facial Rejuvenation Procedures for a Youthful Look
In general, there are four types of surgical facelift procedures that are available to patients:
- Full Facelift – A traditional facelift, also known as a rhytidectomy, is performed to improve the overall appearance of the face as well as the jaw of a patient. The plastic surgeon will lift the underlying muscles of the face in order to remove any excess skin and fat. This technique also tightens the underlying muscles in order to provide a more youthful appearance. A full facelift is performed to address any issues in targeted areas of the face such as lines and wrinkles located below the eyes, excess fat and skin that are visible as jowls and any lines around the mouth.
- Mini Facelift – Shorter incisions are made by the doctor in order to lift the jowls of the patient. Unlike a lower facelift, this technique is ideal for patients that have a smaller amount of excess skin and fat that needs to be addressed by the plastic surgeon. In a mini facelift, the SMAS can be tightened by placing some sutures around them and then tightening the area or by performing a deep plane facelift. Patients should not be worried about the results of this technique being smaller or less effective than other facelift procedures as the word “mini” does not describe the length of the results.
- Lower Facelift – This facelift technique is focused on lifting the jowls of the patient in order to improve the contour of the jawline. In a lower facelift, the surgeon makes an incision that follows the contour of the ears so the muscular layer under the skin, the SMAS, can be tightened and the jowls can be lifted off of the jawline. The SMAS is tightened by performing a deep plane facelift that releases four sets of small ligaments so the SMAS and jowls can easily be lifted by the surgeon without giving the patient a “pulled look”.
- Neck Lift – As the name suggests, this procedure is performed to rejuvenate the appearance of the neck. In general, it can be performed at the same time as a Mini Facelift or a Lower Facelift. A neck lift is performed when the surgeon creates a small incision under the chin so the skin can be lifted and moved downwards to the lower part of the neck. Any extra fat in the area is removed before the muscles underneath the neck are sewn together by the doctor. A neck lift eliminates any vertical bands, AKA “turkey bands”, in the targeted area as well as eliminates loose skin to create a more contoured look to the neck.
Ideal Candidates for Surgical Facial Rejuvenation Procedures
No matter the surgical facial rejuvenation procedure that will be performed by a plastic surgeon, there are some patients that, in general, are ideal candidates to gain a more youthful look. These patients include:
- A person that is in overall good health
- Someone between the ages of 45-70
- A person that is experiencing sagging skin, AKA jowls, and extra fat below the chin or jawline
- Someone that has extra skin in the neck area
- A person with lines and wrinkles below the eyes and around the mouth
Surgical Facial Rejuvenation Procedure Results
After undergoing any of the surgical facial rejuvenation procedures listed above, patients can expect to see a significant improvement in the appearance of the face and neck thanks to a tighter appearance created by the elimination of extra skin and fat. The final result will be a rejuvenated and more youthful appearance. In general, the results can last anywhere from 10-20 years.
Patients should be aware that the face will continue to age and the effects of gravity will continue to impact their appearance by pulling down on the skin.
Schedule a Surgical Facial Rejuvenation Procedure Consultation Appointment
Patients that are interested in undergoing a surgical facial rejuvenation procedure should schedule a consultation appointment with a board-certified doctor that is experienced in performing a facelift or a neck lift. The plastic surgeon should be able to provide “before and after” photos of actual patients to give a better idea of the type of results that can be expected. Patients need to be aware that the results of modern surgical facial rejuvenation will provide a natural and youthful look as opposed to the pulled and stretched results of the past that made it obvious to others when a person had a facelift performed by a surgeon.