The quest for eternal youth is one of the oldest pursuits of mankind. Even with major advances in science, it’s still hard to tell if scientists will ever find the Fountain of Youth. While some people turn to a facelift or liposuction to remain youthful in appearance, staying active and eating healthy can keep you looking years younger than your actual age. There are specific types of fruits and vegetables that will give you a big anti-aging boost. What’s more, these foods are easily available in your local supermarket so you don’t have to visit the rainforest to find them.
Superfoods that Improve the Skin
- The Humble Avocado – Any food which goes beyond providing your body with nutritional value is considered a “superfood”. The avocado is one such superfood. This fruit is loaded with critical fatty acids, antioxidants and essential amino acids that are important in preserving your youthful looks. Avocado is especially high in oleic acid which helps increase fat metabolism. It is also a good source of carotenoid antioxidants: lutein, zeaxanthin, and tocopherol (a form of Vitamin E). Besides having amazing health benefits, avocados are also known for being one of the best anti-aging foods you can eat. It can even prevent wrinkles. The compound responsible for this effect is said to be the D-mannoheptulose sugar which has been shown to improve the skin epidermis by boosting collagen production.
- Yogurt Power – Yogurt provides amazing health benefits to the body’s digestive system. Did you also know about its skin rejuvenating properties? When applied topically, this healthy food becomes an effective skincare product. In fact, Cleopatra from ancient Egypt was known for taking daily sour milk baths which kept her skin young and beautiful. However, choosing the right yogurt for your skin is important. Unsweetened or plain yogurt seems to work the best. Flavored versions may cause irritation and further aggravate existing pimples or rashes.
- Joy of Soy – Did you know soy products such as tofu, soy milk, and edamame can preserve collagen and elastin in your skin? They are also known to slow down the aging process itself. A recent study in experimental dermatology showed that mice treated topically with soybean extracts showed more resistance to the signs of aging. Soy products are also a good source of antioxidants which is known to protect the body against free radicals which are said to be one of the main causes of aging. The only downside of soybeans is that they encourage estrogen production so male bodybuilders or athletes might want to consume this superfood sparingly.
- Watercress – Watercress is a very beneficial food to include in your diet. This nutrient-dense hydrating leafy green is a great source of calcium, potassium, manganese and phosphorus along with vitamins A, C, K, B-1 and B-2. Watercress acts as an internal skin antiseptic and increases the circulation and delivery of minerals which enhances the oxygenation of the skin. Watercress is filled with vitamin C which helps to neutralize harmful free radicals and minimize the occurrence of fine lines and wrinkles. This delicious green may also boost immunity and provide thyroid support due to its iodine content.
- Red Bell Pepper – Red bell peppers are loaded with antioxidants which is a very important agent when it comes to anti-aging. In addition to their high content of vitamin C, which is good for collagen production, red bell peppers contain carotenoids which have a lot of beneficial properties. Carotenoids are plant pigments responsible for the bright red, yellow and orange colors you see in many fruits and vegetables. They have a variety of anti-inflammatory properties and may help protect the skin from sun damage and environmental toxins.
- Papaya – This delicious superfood is rich in a variety of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that help improve skin elasticity and minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Papaya is a rich source of vitamins A, C, K and E as well as calcium, potassium, magnesium and phosphorus. The wide range of antioxidants in papaya helps to neutralize free radicals thus delaying the signs of aging. Papaya also contains an enzyme called papain which provides additional anti-aging benefits by working as one of nature’s best anti-inflammatory agents.
- Blueberries – Blueberries are rich in vitamins A and C as well as an age-defying antioxidant called anthocyanin. This is what gives blueberries their deep, beautiful blue color. These powerful antioxidants help protect the skin from damage due to the sun, stress and pollution by moderating the inflammatory response and preventing collagen loss.
- Broccoli – Broccoli is an anti-inflammatory, anti-aging superfood filled with vitamins C and K, a variety of antioxidants, fiber, folate, lutein and calcium. Broccoli gives the body vitamin C which is essential in the production of collagen AKA the main protein in the skin that gives it strength and elasticity. The nutrient lutein has also been shown to be useful in the preservation of the memory function of the brain.
More Superfoods at the Grocery Store
The superfoods discussed here are just the tip of the iceberg in keeping wrinkles at bay. In fact, there are many other fruits and vegetables available in your local grocery store that can help prevent the signs of aging. Next time you’re out grocery shopping, try to get some beets, kiwi, rosemary, spinach, sweet potatoes and dark chocolate. You should even get certain spices like cinnamon and turmeric. These foods work wonders in keeping your body running in tip-top condition while giving you anti-aging benefits at the same time.