Cosmetic procedures are popular all across the United States as patients undergo them to make desired changes to their appearance. It is important to remember that cosmetic surgery procedures are not considered to be medically necessary so patients will need to pay for them out of pocket. While they are not deemed to be medically necessary, they are a good method for patients to gain a more aesthetic appearance to certain areas of the body as well as improve their self-image or self-confidence. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular cosmetic surgery options currently performed on patients across the country.
Current Popular Cosmetic Surgery Procedures in America
- Tummy Tuck – A tummy tuck, which is also known as abdominoplasty, eliminates skin that is loose or saggy and also tightens the muscles in the targeted area to create an abdomen that is smooth and firm. The surgeon creates an incision that runs from one side of the hip to the other, as well as around the belly button, in order to reposition the navel.
- Laser Liposuction – This liposuction technique uses laser technology to help promote the production of collagen in the body of a patient. The production of collagen provides a tighter and more rejuvenated look to the skin. It is also a popular choice because it is not an invasive surgical procedure like traditional liposuction. The idea behind laser liposuction is to shrink the fat cells rather than remove them from the body. The doctor places pads that are fitted with laser diodes onto the skin of the patient. The laser energy is focused on the targeted area so it can penetrate the skin and go all the way to the fat cells. Tiny holes are created in the membranes of the fat cells which causes them to release stored fatty acids and water into the body. Once the release process happens, the fat cells start to shrink and the water and stored fatty acids are flushed out of the body via the lymphatic system.
- Facelift – Many people want to turn back the clock and gain a look that is more youthful and rejuvenated in appearance. A facelift reduces the signs of aging on the face such as lines and wrinkles by lifting and tightening the underlying muscles to give a better contour and younger look to the face. The surgeon also removes any excess fat and skin in the targeted area. In general, a facelift can enhance the appearance of the area below the eyes as well as get rid of a sagging look to the cheeks and jowls.
- Breast Implants – This breast enhancement procedure, which is sometimes referred to as a “boob job”, is performed to give the breasts a better contour or enlargement to their appearance by placing implants under the chest muscle or behind the breast tissue. The implants are filled with either silicone or saline (sterile salt water). Breast implants are placed to provide a greater size to smaller breasts as well as more volume and contour to the breasts for a fuller figure.
- Rhinoplasty – This cosmetic surgery procedure, which is also known as a “nose job”, alters the appearance of the nose. The alterations are achieved by making changes to its size and shape through changes to the bone, skin and cartilage located in the treated area of the nose. Rhinoplasty can help to provide a greater balance to the facial features as well as improve the ability of the patient to breathe. The surgery can be performed as open rhinoplasty (where the incisions are made on the outside of the nose) or closed rhinoplasty (where the incision are made on the inside of the nose).
- Vaser Liposuction – This liposuction technique uses ultrasound technology and vibrations to disrupt fat cells and loosen them from the deeper tissues of the body in order to more easily remove them. Vaser lipo can break apart the fat in targeted areas of the body such as the chin, neck, thighs and arms. A saline solution is used to numb the targeted area and shrink the blood vessels. A small probe that emits high-frequency sound energy then proceeds to break apart the fat on contact so it can be extracted from the body using liposuction.
First Step in the Cosmetic Surgery Process
Patients that are interested in having cosmetic surgery should schedule a consultation appointment with a board-certified surgeon that is knowledgeable about, and experienced in performing, the procedure of choice.
A board-certified doctor will examine the patient during the consultation appointment to make sure the person is healthy enough to undergo a cosmetic surgery procedure. In addition, the doctor will also chat with the patient to discuss the type of results that are desired by the person. It is important for the patient to enter into the cosmetic surgery process with realistic expectations so the person will not be disappointed by the final results.
Once the doctor and the patient are in agreement about the treatment plan, the procedure can be scheduled by the doctor.