Plastic surgery can help patients achieve the look they have always desired to their body. From rhinoplasty that can alter the size and shape of the nose, breast augmentation that provides a larger size to the breasts and a facelift that gives a patient a more rejuvenated and youthful facial appearance, patients need to do proper research to make sure their surgeon of choice is board-certified and experienced in performing the plastic surgery procedure of choice. In order to make it easier for you to find the best doctor to handle your plastic surgery, Cosmetic Town News has put together a list of tips you need to know when looking for a plastic surgeon.
How to Find the Best Plastic Surgeon
- Check the credentials of the plastic surgeon to find out if the doctor has earned a certification from the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). Checking the credentials also means seeing if the surgeon has the proper and necessary expertise and overall experience in the specific medical procedure that you are interested in undergoing. Some of the most common subspecialty boards include the American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Dermatology.
- Ask for recommendations from friends and family members that have experience in undergoing the procedure of choice. In addition, ask your primary care doctor for advice and recommendations when trying to find a plastic surgeon.
- Schedule a consultation appointment with the doctor you are interested in having perform the treatment. Make sure that you are comfortable with the surgeon and that you feel like you can voice any questions or concerns you have on your mind. It is important to have both confidence in, and a connection with, the doctor that you are trusting to help you achieve your desired results.
- Once you schedule the consultation appointment, ask the doctor how often he, or she, performs the procedure of choice. You should also be sure and ask for specifics about the actual performance of the surgery.
- Ask the doctor about his or her medical training and if they are keeping up to date on the latest medical equipment and techniques for your desired surgery. You can also ask medical training questions to learn more about the colleges the doctor attended as well as the medical hospitals and institutions where the doctor trained.
- Ask to see “before and after” photos of actual patients treated by the doctor. The photos can show you the changes that can be made and how long it takes for some of the results to become visible. This will give you a good idea about the recovery process. When viewing the photos, it is important to make sure they all have the same lighting and positioning. A consistent set of photos means the doctor is not trying to mislead you or simply show you “the best of the best” of the available patient photos.
- Besides viewing the photos, you can always ask the surgeon if you can speak to any of the patients as well. Many patients are more than willing to discuss their plastic surgery experience and it is always helpful to get a personal account from a patient.
- It is also important to ask about possible risks and complications related to the procedure. While the doctor will certainly share the benefits that can be achieved by the surgery, it is important to know about any possible risks so you can plan ahead and be prepared.
- Ask the doctor about the precautions and safety measures that are in place to ensure the COVID-19 safety of patients. Medical offices need to follow the safety guidelines established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Patient safety is the top goal of doctors and knowing what they are doing to protect the public can put your mind at ease going into a medical procedure.
- Trust in a surgeon is an important part of the process. Look for a doctor that is open and honest and does not avoid the question when you ask something about the medical procedure. It is also important to have a doctor that will set honest and realistic expectations about the final results.
- Be sure and ask if the doctor is performing surgeries in an accredited operating facility. Having plastic surgery in an accredited medical facility means you can be sure that all of the required patient safety standards have been met in the operating room. The doctor and the patient need to be in agreement about the goals of the surgery and the type of results that can realistically be achieved.
By following the tips listed above, your chance of choosing the right doctor for your procedure is increased. Cosmetic Town is here to help you start your search on our find a doctor page. Browse the experienced and board-certified doctors listed on our website so you can begin your plastic surgery journey.