In the past, plastic surgery was mostly viewed as being a female driven surgery option as the general perception of plastic surgery involved female patients wanting to enhance their appearance through procedures such as a facelift or breast augmentation. These days, many male patients are showing interest in having plastic surgery to turn back the clock and provide them an enhanced, younger or more contoured appearance. In addition, male plastic surgery can also increase the self-image and overall confidence of a person. As more men are showing interest in having plastic surgery, here are seven of the most popular plastic surgery procedures for male patients across the country.
Seven Common Male Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Male Breast Reduction – Many men suffer from a condition known as gynecomastia which is a swelling of the male breast tissue that is caused by a hormonal imbalance as well as medications, weight gain and genetics. This male plastic surgery option helps the appearance of patients by removing excess fatty tissues that are located on the male breasts that can make the person have breasts that are feminine in appearance. The final results give a more masculine contour to the appearance of the male pectoral area. In general, the results are permanent as long as the patient maintains a healthy lifestyle.
- Rhinoplasty – Many male patients do not like the size, shape or appearance of their nose. Rhinoplasty, AKA a nose job, is performed to give the nose a more aesthetically pleasing appearance as well as making it more symmetrical with the other features on the face. In addition, rhinoplasty can improve the functional appearance of the nose and make it easier for the patient to breathe. The results will last a lifetime as long as the patient does not suffer any type of trauma or injury to the nose.
- Blepharoplasty – As male patients get older, their eyelids can start to sag which can result in a droopy appearance. In addition, the sagging eyelids can impact their vision as well as give the person a tired and older appearance. Eyelid surgery, AKA blepharoplasty, fixes vision issues that are caused by excess skin and fat in the eyelids and also reduces the appearance of puffy upper eyelids and bags under the eyes. Eyelid surgery can be upper or lower eyelid surgery and, depending on the procedure of choice, involves an incision being made below the lower eyelashes to remove excess fat or an incision being created in the upper eyelids to get rid of excess skin that has a negative impact on the vision of a person. The results of upper and lower eyelid surgery can last 10-15 years but genetics and the aging process can cause a change in the final results.
- Abdominoplasty – An abdominoplasty, also known as a tummy tuck, is a cosmetic procedure that removes excess fat and skin from the abdomen area and also gives the patient a better tone to the muscles by tightening them to provide an abdomen that is smooth and firm. Patients will need to follow a proper diet and exercise plan in order to maintain the results for 10 years or more.
- Liposuction – Liposuction is a method of removing stubborn, excess fat from the body in order to improve the overall contour of the body. While liposuction can remove fat from the body, it is not a weight loss method. In traditional liposuction, the surgeon makes tiny incisions in the targeted area on the body and the fat is removed using a suction tube that is known as a cannula. The fat cells are permanently removed and will not return to the body. Patients should know that new fat cells can emerge on different parts of the body.
- Forehead Lift – A forehead lift, also known as a brow lift, tightens the skin on the forehead by removing excess tissue. An incision is made across the top of the patient’s head and the incision is usually right behind the hairline. Excess skin is removed and the brows are repositioned to provide a smooth looks thanks to the elimination of wrinkles. In general, the results last 5-10 years before gravity and the aging process have an impact on forehead lift results.
- Rhytidectomy – This is the surgical term for a facelift that reduces signs of aging such as wrinkles and fine lines on the face. The underlying muscles are lifted and tightened by the surgeon to remove any excess skin and fat and provide a more youthful and contoured look to the face thanks to increased firmness and a better contour. The results of a facelift can last for 10-20 years but the face can still be impacted by the aging process and gravity as a person gets older.
Male Plastic Surgery Consultation Appointment
Male patients interested in undergoing plastic surgery should schedule a consultation appointment with a board-certified cosmetic surgeon that is experienced in performing any of the above procedures. The doctor will talk to the patient in order to determine the reasons behind the cosmetic surgery procedure as well as discuss the desired final results. Once the doctor has a better understanding of the current condition of the targeted area on the body, the doctor can determine the best treatment option for the patient and set realistic expectations about the final results that will be enjoyed by the male plastic surgery patient.