Unlike the majority of 2020, there is some hope in 2021 that life is somewhat returning to normal for the majority of the country. Many people have received a COVID-19 vaccine and they are starting to discuss social occasions as well as make plans to enhance their appearance through plastic surgery. Some patients have the best of both worlds at the moment as they are able to visit the office of a plastic surgeon while still having the ability to work at home and recover out of the view of the public. The approach of summertime, along with the ability to not wear a mask, but being able to wear loose-fitting clothes, is driving some plastic surgery choices as the start of summer arrives. Let’s take a look at post-vaccine plastic surgery trends that are popular in the summer of 2021.
Post-Vaccine Plastic Surgery Trends Examined
- Liposuction is a popular cosmetic surgery option as patients try to address the weight gain they experienced during the “shelter in place” orders put in place across the country. According to a study of 269 participants from the medical journal, JAMA Network Open, they gained an average of 1.5 pounds a month between February and June of 2020. The weight gain was viewed as being the result of the disruption of daily life, a lower-than-normal step count, decreased physical activities and an increased amount of overeating and snacking. Liposuction targets stubborn fat that is resistant to regular diet and exercise.
- Because of the reasons listed above, body-sculpting and body-shaping procedures are gaining in popularity. Some of the most popular options are CoolSculpting and EmSculpt as patients are looking to have treatments that eliminate and/or reduce fat before they return to the office.
- Another popular option is the use of a Fraxel laser to tighten skin that is sagging and also improve the texture of the skin. Besides wanting to gain a younger and more rejuvenated look, many patients view skin tightening and contouring treatments as being able to maintain some level of control over their appearance after a year when everything seemed very out of control. They want to address concerns about the texture of their skin as well as any issues such as fine lines, skin discoloration and acne scars in order to gain a new layer of fresh and healthy skin.
- Breast augmentation and breast lifts are showing a rise in popularity as patients want their breasts to look their best at summer gatherings at the pool or on the beach. The need to wear a bikini gives patients the incentive they need to augment and/or enhance the breasts. The desire to attend social summertime outdoor gatherings, while also feeling confident about their look, is behind the desire to make changes to the appearance of the breasts. While breast augmentation can make the breasts larger and more contoured in their appearance, a breast lift removes breast skin that is sagging while also elevating a nipple that is pointing downwards to a more forward position. The removal of the extra, sagging skin results in a more youthful and perky breast that often produces a smaller cup size on the part of the patient.
- Thermage is a radiofrequency treatment that offers a tighter look and feeling to the skin by using the healing capabilities of the body to build collagen. Even though the results might be subtle in appearance at the start of the treatment, the results build over time and become visible to others viewing the skin.
- Injectables, such as Botox and fillers, are often viewed by some patients as a “necessity” to maintaining their youthful appearance. They want to eliminate the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, gain a plump look to the lips and also restore volume that has been lost in the cheeks due to the aging process.
Post-Vaccine Plastic Surgery – How to Take Advantage of It
Now that the number of adults receiving the vaccine has risen across the country, many people are curious about how they can start to take advantage of the benefits of plastic surgery procedures.
The first step in the plastic surgery process is scheduling a consultation appointment with a board-certified surgeon that is experienced in performing the desired procedure. The doctor can discuss the various treatment options with the patient and also share the “pros and cons” of each procedure. The doctor will also examine the general health of the patient and determine if the person is healthy enough to have the procedure.
It is also important to chat with the doctor in order to get a better idea of the type of results that can be gained from the procedure. Realistic result expectations are necessary in order for the patient to know what to expect and what the recovery process will be like after the treatment is performed.
Once the doctor and patient agree about the treatment choice and the type of results that can be expected, the final decision can be made about having summer plastic surgery to gain a youthful and refreshed look to the body.