Patients that want to undergo plastic surgery have thousands of doctors to choose from in the United States. In addition to the plastic surgeons located across the United States, many patients decide to travel to Mexico to undergo a cosmetic procedure. According to tourism-review.com, there were 1.2-medical tourism patients (mostly from the United States or Canada) that decided to visit Mexico for their plastic surgery procedure. They enjoy the quality of service available in Mexico along with the affordable prices for procedures. In general, Mexico is one of the most popular parts of the world for healthcare services for patients. Take a look below to learn why so many patients decide to travel to Mexico for plastic surgery.
Reasons why Mexico is a Popular Medical Tourism Destination
Here are just some of the reasons why Mexico is such a popular spot for plastic surgery for patients from the United States:
- Easy to Travel to Mexico – Patients often find it very easy to visit Mexico by plane as well as by automobile. The ease of visiting the country makes the idea of going to Mexico for a procedure rather appealing.
- High-Quality Results – According to the World Health Organization, hospitals in Mexico are quite similar in both their infrastructure and service to hospitals located in the United States.
- Bilingual Doctors – The doctors that perform plastic surgery in Mexico after often fluent in English (along with other languages) making it easy for patients to share any concerns or questions about the changes they want to make to their body.
- Clinic Tours and Sunshine Post-Op Recovery – When patients are thinking about having plastic surgery in Mexico, they often take a tour that can include accommodations as well as recovery time in areas located near the beach.
- Affordable Prices – In general, the price for cosmetic surgery in Mexico can be anywhere from 50\\\%-75\\\% lower than the price for the same procedure in the United States. Having said that, patients need to be careful when choosing a surgeon and/or a clinic for their procedure. Don’t assume that a lower price still means that the level of care is always up to professional standards. This is true of cosmetic surgery anywhere in the world. Patients need to conduct proper research and make sure their doctor of choice is board-certified and experienced in performing the desired procedure. Medical tourism can actually involve some risks to the health of the patient and should be entered into with caution and the required knowledge to find the best doctor to perform the desired procedure. Learn more about the benefits and risks of going out of the country for cosmetic surgery in this informative Cosmetic Town medical tourism news article.
Four Popular Cosmetic Surgery Procedures in Mexico
The following are some of the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures performed on a regular basis in Mexico:
- Liposuction – Patients that have stubborn areas of skin and fat that do not respond to diet and exercise often turn to liposuction to eliminate excess fat and gain a more contoured look to the body. The surgeon makes tiny incisions in the area of the body with the stubborn fat. A cannula is then placed in the incisions to suction out the stubborn fat cells in the body.
- Tummy Tuck – A tummy tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, is performed to remove areas of excess skin and fat and to tighten the muscles located in the abdominal area. During a traditional tummy tuck, the doctor makes an incision that runs from one side of the hip to the other side of the hip. In addition, the incision goes around the belly button so the doctor can reposition the navel.
- Rhinoplasty – A nose job is when the doctor makes alterations or enhancements to the look, size or shape of the nose through changes to the skin, bone or cartilage of the nose. The changes can be aesthetic in appearance or they can be aesthetic and functional if the patient needs help in improving their breathing ability. Some of the most popular changes to the nose include narrowing the bridge of the nose, altering the angle of the nose and giving a crooked nose a straighter appearance.
- Breast Augmentation - This procedure is commonly referred to as a boob job and is performed to enhance or enlarge the size of the breasts through a number of treatment options. The doctor can perform the placement of saline or silicone breast implants behind the breasts or below the pectoral muscle. Patients that do not want breast implants can have the breasts enlarged through the placement of fat (from another part of the body of the patient). A fat transfer procedure can add volume to the breasts, give them a more balanced look and also provide the patient with a fuller figure.
Research is Key to Successful Plastic Surgery in Mexico
Before making the decision to travel to Mexico for plastic surgery, patients need to perform research about the doctor and research their own ability to journey out of the country. Undergoing a procedure close to home means no travel time and it makes it easier to visit the doctor for a follow-up appointment and/or go the medical office if there are any issues or complications during the recovery period.